Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pizza Night!


My son J's favorite food is pizza. He has only eatten homemade pizza that my mother or I have made, since I have been too afraid to order it from a pizza restaurant, since cheese is EVERYWHERE! I have decided to switch my dough recipe, since I just found out that my husband does not care at all for it, but really enjoys my mother's dough recipe.

My Mom's Pizza Dough Recipe:
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 1/8 cup flour
1 pkg fast active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
1 tsp honey
2 tsp olive oil

Combine 1 3/4 cup flour, corn meal, yeast and salt. In a seperate bowlcombine water, honey and oil. Add water mixture to the flour mixture. Mix to mix, then mix at medium speed until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup flour (add more if needed to make dough soft). Kneed until smooth (about 5 to 10 minutes). Cover and let rise until double, then punch down and cover, let rest 10 minutes.

Here are pictures of my pizza and J's pizza prior to cooking (I totally forgot to take a picture after they were cooked until we were almost done!) I topped J's with homemade pizza sauce (made with fresh tomatoes that I bought at the farm on Monday, garlic powder and Italian herbs) and pepperoni. I topped mine with homemade sauce, pepperoni, red onion, olives, green peppers and Daiya Mozzarella Cheese. Daiya cheese is milk, egg, soy, peanut and treenut free. I purchased it last week at Whole Foods so that J could try cheese on his pizza. The first time he tried it he did not really care for it. This was the first time that I tried it and I did not care for it at all. Oh well- it looks like there may not be any type of cheese on my pizza for the next several months!



No comments: