Monday, October 18, 2010

Fake Peanut Butter and a Yummy Snack!


This week I have been craving something sweet, but different from the chocolate chip cookies that I make several times a week (I have a sweet tooth but also a chocolate tooth!) While I was at Kroger searching for nutritional yeast in the health foods section (which I could not find) I decided that I wanted peanut butter. They had a couple different kinds, Soynut butter is out since I can't have soy, so I opted for Sunflower Butter. It is really good. It does not taste exactly like peanut butter, but it is really good and tasted very similar, but it does have a little bit of a grainy texture, which if you eat it cooked in something or with something else you can't tell. The next day for lunch I tried it in a "peanut butter" and jelly sandwich, which was really good, but my kids weren't really keen on it. Then Sunday I used it to make Food Allergy Mama's Snickerdoodles- my kids loved these (it took a while to convince J to try them, but after that I could not get J to stop eating them!)
Here is the recipe:
Snickeroos (Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book, by Kelly Rudnicki, page 160)
1 cup dark corn syrup (I only had light so that is what I used)
1 cup sugar
1 (15-ou) Creamy soy nut butter (I used Sunbutter)
6 cups crisped rice cereal
2 cups chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
Spray a 13 x 9x 2 inch baking pan (all the spray that I have found has soy in it so I use non-stick foil to line the pan).
In a medium saucepan boil the corn syrup and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the soy nut butter until thoroughly combined. In a large bowl, combine the cereal and the soy nut butter mixture, press the batter into the prepared baking dish.
Place the chocolate chips into a microwavable dish and heat on high 45-60 seconds, or until melted. Using a spatula, spread the melted chocolate over the batter. Let the mixture cool completely and cut into 1 inch squares.

No comments: