Thursday, February 24, 2011

What is a Food Allergy?

Before J was diagnosed at 13 months I new very little about food allergies. I new that people had peanut allergies and they could be life threatening, but as far as other food allergies go I pretty much assumed that they were more like intolerances, that you could eat the food but may get a stomach ache. Once J was diagnosed I learned that was so far from what a food allergy is.

A food allergy is basically your body fighting the protein in the food. When the immune system fights the food it releases histamine and other chemicals. This is what causes respiratory reactions, skin reactions or other allergic reactions. The United States recognizes the following foods as the most common allergens: milk, eggs, peanuts, treenuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish. It is believed that these foods make up 90 percent of food allergy reactions.

The most common question I am asked is how did you know that J had food allergies? When J was four months old he developed awful weepy eczema. They suggested that he may be sensitive to certain foods since allergies, eczema and asthmas are related, but they would not test him until he was about a year. Then when he was 9 months old we gave him a milk based formula to supplement him since he would not eat baby or table food. Once he injested the formula he broke out in hives and projectile vomited. We then had him allergy tested and he tested positive for milk, eggs, peanuts and treenuts. My daughter was tested at 10 months and my 12 month old was tested at 4 months.

There is no cure or medicine for food allergies. Most children allergic to fish, shelfish, peanuts and treenuts do not outgrow their allergies. Milk and eggs are more likely to be outgrown, however studies, including one at John Hopkins have shown that they are harder to outgrow than they were 20 years ago.

I am planning on doing more reviews on allergy friendly products in the next month and giveaways so keep visiting my blog. If you have any questions about food allergies, please ask- no question is stupid I am more than happy to answer them or direct you to someone that may be able to answer it. Here are some great sites if you would like to learn more:

Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN)

Kids with Food Allergies

12 comments:

Of One Heart said...

I'm so sorry about the eczema. I like how situations in life make us wiser and stronger.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Yes, please do a review about allergy friendly products. Following you back :)

Let'sMakeADifference said...

We are just realizing NOW that my children are teens, that they have food allergies!!! :( It explains so much. Great post. I'm blog hopping and found your blog. Adorable pictures! Am now following and would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!!

Just Wedeminute said...

Hi, following you from Blog Hop Thursday! Stop by and say hi when you have time!
http://wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com/

My son has a red dye allergy, I have a tomato allergy and my husband has a chicken allergy! I would love to see another post about food allergies!

ErikaRose said...

following you now. I really like the name of your blog. Please follow me back I'd love any input you have.

Anonymous said...

Great blog, I'm wondering if any of the chemicals they're using to give our food a longer shelf life has anything to do with allergies or the floride in the water? This is an interesting topic. Hello, I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. Hope you'll come visit and follow me too. I'd like to be one of your blogging friends. Thanks!

http://exjw-foodie.blogspot.com/

Blogger Broadcast said...

Hi Amanda, thanks for sharing this. I didn't know much about it before.
I am following you back.

Are You A Mom said...

Hello,
I am your newest follower :)
Please stop by and say hello Areyouamom.com
Follow me to please :)
Thanks and Have a great day!
Maureen

Unknown said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by Magical Mouse Schoolhouse! I am following you too :)

My 5YO is allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts. Found out the hard way - by feeding him peanut butter & having his lips swell!! He was 13 months old. It's been interesting to learn just how much food contains contaminants from sharing processing equipment. It has helped us eat more "real" food so we avoid things that he might react to. Thanks for this great post!

~Jodi
www.magicalmouseschoolhouse.com, where Disney IS school!

Anonymous said...

New follower! Love the information you have provided!Jenn

makingmemoriesthatcount.blogspot.com

Kristi S said...

Thanks for the information. I am new to this whole mommy deal so this was very helpful!

hives causes said...

Wear loose clothes that will not put pressure on the skin and try not to scratch affected areas to avoid further skin damages. This will help decrease the chance of getting bigger rashes.