Monday, May 9, 2011

My Homemade I-Spy Bags

I discovered I-Spy bags almost a year ago. As soon as I saw them I knew my children would love them! I decided to make my three children and my two nephews and niece an I-Spy bag for Christmas. They are wonderful for car rides or doctors appointments to keep a child occupied.

Supplies:
Scraps of material (my bags are 4.5" x 4.5")
Poly Pellets (these can be purchased online or at Michaels)
Clear vinyl (you can purchase this at material stores or Wal-Mart)
Small findings (whatever you find around your house or Hobby Lobby sells a bag of "Grandmas Grab Bag" by Dress It Up in their scrapbooking section)


Cut your material (make sure you fold the material in half so- you will have two 4.5 x 4.5 squares, with one side shared for both squares, so you only have to sew three sides instead of four). Cut out a square piece of material of one of the squares (my window is 3.5" x 2.75"). Cut the vinyl about a quarter inch bigger than each side of the opening. Sew the vinyl into the window. Turn the fabric inside out and sew all the sides together, but leave a small hole so you can turn it to the right side and so you can fill it. Pull the fabric through the hole so it is right side out and then fill your bag with Poly Pellets and the findings (I have 20 findings in each of my bags). Sew the hole together. I am a novice when it comes to sewing (I know enough to be dangerous!). If you don't want to go to the trouble of making your own I-Spy bag, there are a lot of crafters selling them on Etsy!

No comments: